Consulting firm Accenture has released its 2007 survey of 100 media and entertainment moguls, citing the following key findings:
- 80% of execs say web 2.0 is no bubble
- 68% claim they’ll find a way to monetise social media within the next one to three years
- 62% believe new platforms are the most important key to growth, with a slim majority in asserting that entertainment portals will win out over social networks (a staggering 86% are planning to devote digital ad spend to the former, v. 41% for the latter)
- Yet 57% see the greatest competitive threat coming from consumer-generated media
- And 53% say short-form content shows the greatest promise
“The media value chain boundaries are blurring, driven by digital transformation, disintermediation, emerging new competitors and the rise of end-user control,” the report concludes.